Sunday, September 4, 2016

The one with the grave of the fireflies

I had been trying to avoid this movie for sometime now because of the delicate subject matter the movie pandered. But today, my first weekend in France and also being locked inside my apartment for the day, I decided to watch this movie. To sum it up, I have been deeply shaken. Before I went into this movie, I knew what it was about. Prepared as I was, I was left by the end of it feeling as if I have a hole in my heart. I do not remember the last time I had cried so much. 

The effect of war on children is beyond imaginable. We have had two floating pictures of children in Syria, one of the kid who was bombed and saved; and the other where the child did not make it to the shore. We as a generation of the smart ones have failed humanity. Everyday there are children not just in Syria but all around the world suffering in the life that we chose for them, the blind eyes we gave them. 

Despiration! I for one have understood that it is not regret that taunts the heart the most, it is the despiration. The lengths of fight people put up to. The only thing true about this world is that it is unfair. I do not have much faith in god but I do want to belive that heaven exists and these children will go to heaven for a better afterlife. 

There is nothing more honest than a child's heart. No child would have to suffer the consequence we put on the world. Why are we so blind to not see the suffering we have caused on people who do not have the choice or power to see it? The associations, countries, leagues, we are all divided and lost in ourselves, blinded by selfishness and greed.

For all the rant that I have put above, I truly feel powerless at this moment. Today also happens to be the day of Teej where married or unmarried woman in Nepal celebrate their womanhood in a sense by spending money lavishly and turning themselves into a red painted doll, but this is not the celebration of just womanhood, it is by all means a mark of partriachy. For me the essences of a woman is her love. For the child, for a man to show how she cares. 

So this happens to be my Teej where I feel womanly and celebrate my womanhood by talking about these lost stars, innocent souls who could have had things otherwise. And aren't children the real stars on the earth? For now all I have is good will, prayers and determination for a better future. May the ones who have departed, their souls rest in peace. May the ones who are struggling find hope. May the one who has power be insightful. May there be a wave of CHANGE.



2 comments:

  1. That is my favorite sad movie. Also, I cannot keep up to frequent sad updates from Syria. It's just soooo sad :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sights of humanity getting crushed in front of our own eyes is definately diffcult to watch

      Delete